- Weekday, weeknight and weekend hours at sites throughout the region (list of locations/dates)
- Comprehensive training – in person or online. (Training Calendar)
- Teamwork and support.
- Professional Continuing Education Credits, college internships, service learning opportunities.
No previous experience is necessary. We ask volunteers to commit to a minimum of 12 hours during tax season, January 23- April 15.
Step 1: Sign Up
- Complete a signup form
- Attend an optional one hour Volunteer Information Session. BRING A FRIEND! (click on the date to register; additional dates are being scheduled)
- Oct 18 5:30 p.m.| Center for Employment Training, 601 Washington Street, Newport KY.
- Oct 27 5:30 p.m.| United Way of Greater Cincinnati, 2400 Reading Rd. Cincinnati, OH.
- Nov 3 6:30 p.m. | Ohio Means Jobs Butler County, 4631 Dixie Hwy, Fairfield, OH.
- Nov 12 9:30 a.m. | American Red Cross, 211 Dana Ave, Cincinnati, OH.
- Nov 15 5:30 p.m. | Kentucky Career Center 8020 Veterans Memorial Drive, Florence, KY.
- Dec 10 9:00 a.m. | Center for Employment Training, 601 Washington Street, Newport KY.
- Learn more about the volunteer tax preparer roles and responsibilities here.
- Overall list of sites needing volunteers is here.
Step 2: Train
Step 3: Certify
- Volunteer certifications required are:
- Volunteer standards of conduct
- Intake and quality review
- Advanced or basic tax preparer
- All certifications are documented after completing tests at the link and learn site.
- Please print out Form 13615 from the certification site and bring with you when you volunteer.
- Testing site
- Certification tutorial (pdf)
- Let us know! Please email us to let us know you have completed your certification. (Name, phone, certification test completed (basic, advanced, military, health savings accounts)
Step 4: Schedule
- Tax Volunteer Center allows you to schedule yourself for training and shows your current schedule.
- We will periodically email you the locations needing volunteers.
- On tax day: Please arrive 20 minutes prior to the start of the tax session. Bring
- Photo ID,
- Your workbooks, and handouts and reference materials
- Form 13615 (volunteer agreement)
- Intake and Quality Review completion page.
- Bad weather: If heavy snowstorms are expected, dial 2-1-1 to find out if your tax site will be open.
- If you are scheduled and must cancel, please contact the site coordinator.
Advanced Resources and Links
- Pub 4961 Volunteer Standards of Conduct– Ethics Training; training materials and test. Summary.
- Publication 4491: Student Training Guide: This is the print version of the Link & Learn courses for basic and advanced tax law training.
- Publication 4491-W: Comprehensive Problems and Exercises Workbook: Provides tax return scenarios for volunteers to complete using TaxWise online training (for training purposes only). 2015 Answer Sheet HERE
- Publication 4012: Volunteer Resource Guide Provides a quick and easy way to find answers to common questions such as: “What is the correct filing status?” “Who qualifies as a dependent?” “What income is considered taxable?”
- Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax Return: An extension of Pub. 4012, Pub. 17 provides the most comprehensive information regarding any tax question.
- Online training (IRS Link and Learn)Online videos from Refund Ohio
- State tax training
- Intake and quality review training: (slideshow from IRS)
- PracticeLab for TaxSlayerSoftware: Use TrainProWeb to access the practice Lab
- IRS Site Coordinator Corner
- Info for Cincinnati Area Site Coordinators:strong>
Online Volunteer Training Guide here.
Want to help us spread the word? Print and share our flyer.