Tax Preparation: What to Bring
What to Bring with you to a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Site:
♦ These items are required. We cannot prepare your taxes without them.
– These items are optional but highly preferred; there may be delays, lower refunds or higher tax bills if they are not available.
♦ For married filing jointly, both spouses must be present. * Required
♦ Photo identification for yourself and your spouse. * Required
♦ Birth dates and Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number notices/cards for you, spouse and dependents on the return. * Required
♦ Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) * Required
♦ All W-2 and 1099 forms and information for other income received last year. * Required
♦ Health Care Statement Form 1095-A if you purchased your own health insurance through the “healthcare marketplace”.
– Health Care Form B or C if your health insurance comes through your employer, VA, Medicare or Medicaid.
– A copy of last year’s tax return. We may not have this data available, even if we did your taxes last year
– Total amount paid to your daycare provider and their Tax ID number.
– Student Account Statement and Form 1098-T if anyone in the family attended college or technical school.
– Information for all deductions/credits, including medical expenses, charitable donations, home expenses and educational expenses.
– Canceled check or bank-provided account number and routing number for direct deposit of your tax refund.