Tax Preparation: What to Bring

What to Bring with you to a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Site:

These items are required. We cannot prepare your taxes without them.
These items are optional but highly preferred; there may be delays, lower refunds or higher tax bills if they are not available.


 For married filing jointly, both spouses must be present. * Required
♦ Photo identification for yourself and your spouse. * Required
 Birth dates and Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number notices/cards for you, spouse and dependents on the return. * Required
 Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) * Required

Tax Forms:

 All W-2 and 1099 forms and information for other income received last year. * Required
♦ Health Care Statement Form 1095-A if you purchased your own health insurance through the “healthcare marketplace”.
Health Care Form B or C if your health insurance comes through your employer, VA, Medicare or Medicaid.
A copy of last year’s tax return.  We may not have this data available, even if we did your taxes last year

Expense Documentation

Total amount paid to your daycare provider and their Tax ID number.
Student Account Statement and Form 1098-T if anyone in the family attended college or technical school.
Information for all deductions/credits, including medical expenses, charitable donations, home expenses and educational expenses.

Canceled check or bank-provided account number and routing number for direct deposit of your tax refund.