Build financial stability for families by helping them prepare and file their taxes at one of our free tax sites. Volunteers will receive training to meet one-on-one with families and file their return using tax software.
WHO CAN HELP
Individuals ages 18+ can help on their own, or groups can adopt a tax site and volunteer together. Not a tax expert? No problem! We provide training and on-going support. Great volunteers just need to be:
- personable and friendly
- willing to ask questions
- comfortable using a computer
- curious about learning new skills and solving puzzles
- someone who has high ethical standards
Volunteer nights or weekends at one of 30+ locations in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana. Continuing education credits available for Accountants, CPAs and CFAs. Volunteers can also help as site greeters or Spanish interpreters.
HOW TO START
1) Learn More | 1 hour
- Attend an Information Session in-person or virtually
Sat, November 10, 9:30 – 10:30 AM in Cincinnati, OH | RSVP
Wed, November 14, 6:30 – 7:30 PM in Fairfield, OH | RSVP
Wed, December 19, 10 AM – 1 PM in Covington| RSVP (Info session + tax training)
Thu, December 20, 6 – 9 PM in Covington| RSVP (Info session + tax training)
- Review our tentative tax site locations & schedule to make sure we have opportunities that fit when and where you’d like to volunteer
2) Apply | 30 mins
- Complete a Volunteer Application Form to indicate your interest and receive important program updates. This is also how you’ll sign up for volunteer shifts.
- Register for the IRS the Training/Certification website to learn tax laws basics, changes, and other tax topics.
- Register for the IRS Practice Lab website to learn the TaxSlayer software used at our tax sites. Enter password TRAINPROWEB then set your own username and password.
3) Training | 3-12 hours
- New Volunteers:
Sat. Dec. 1, 8:30 AM – 4 PM in Newport, KY | RSVP
Sat. Dec. 1, 8:30 AM – 4 PM in Cincinnati, OH | RSVP
Sat. Dec. 8, 8:30 AM – 4 PM in Fairfield, OH | RSVP
Sat. Dec. 15, 8:30 AM – 4 PM in Cincinnati, OH | RSVP
Special Topics: Sat. Jan. 12, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM in Cincinnati, OH | RSVP
- Returning Volunteers:
Sat. Dec. 15, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM in Cincinnati, OH | RSVP
Sat. Jan. 5, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM in Cincinnati, OH | RSVP
- Self Study Courses:
Volunteer Standards of Conduct (File download)
Intake/Interview Training (File download)
There are multiple paths for tax training including: Basic, Advanced, or HSA (Optional)
4) Test and Certify | 1 -3 hours
- Log into the IRS the Training/Certification website. Each test is un-timed, can be saved and resumed later, and can be attempted twice.
- Complete Volunteer Standards of Conduct test
- Complete the Intake/Interview test
- Complete at least the Basic test, other levels are optional.
- Print out volunteer agreement (form 13615) for site coordinator. You will need a form for each site you volunteer.
5) Sign up for volunteer shifts | 12 hours
- Once you’ve passed all three certification tests, you may login to schedule your volunteer shifts. We ask volunteers to commit to at least 3 shifts of 3-4 hours on a weeknight or Saturday.
Resources and Links
- Volunteer flyer
- Site coordinator page
- Pub 4961 Volunteer Standards of Conduct– Ethics Training; training materials and test. Summary.
- Publication 4491: Student Training Guide: This is the print version of the Link & Learn courses for basic and advanced tax law training.
- Publication 4491-W: Comprehensive Problems and Exercises Workbook: Provides tax return scenarios for volunteers to complete using TaxWise online training (for training purposes only). Pub 4491w answers for 2016
- Publication 4012: Volunteer Resource Guide Provides a quick and easy way to find answers to common questions such as: “What is the correct filing status?” “Who qualifies as a dependent?” “What income is considered taxable?”
- Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax Return: An extension of Pub. 4012, Pub. 17 provides the most comprehensive information regarding any tax question.
- Online training (IRS Link and Learn)
- Online videos from Refund Ohio
- State tax training
- Intake and quality review training: (slideshow from IRS)
- PracticeLab for TaxSlayerSoftware: Use TrainProWeb to access the practice Lab