Help families in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana file their taxes, claim credits, and get the refunds they’ve earned.
- Weekday, weeknight and weekend hours at sites throughout the region.
- Comprehensive training – in person or online.
- Teamwork and support.
- Professional continuing education credits, college internships, service learning opportunities.
No previous experience is necessary, though we do ask that volunteers commit to working a minimum of 12 hours during tax season, January 31- April 18.
Step 1: Sign Up
Step 2: Train
Step 3: Certify
- Volunteer certifications required are: Intake and quality review (print last slide to confirm attendance); volunteer standards of conduct (VSOC) (test on testing site); advanced or basic tax preparer (test on testing site). Please print out certifications and bring with you when you volunteer)
- Testing site
- Certification tutorial (pdf)
- Let us know! Please email us to let us know you have completed your certification. (Name, phone, certification test completed: (basic, advanced, military, health savings accounts) (Link to email)
Step 4: Schedule
- This site provides your volunteer schedule and opportunities to sign up as well as your current schedule.
- On tax day: Please arrive 20 minutes prior to the start of the tax session. Bring a photo ID, your workbooks and handouts and all your certifications including Form 13615 (volunteer agreement) and the Intake and Quality Review completion page.
- Bad weather: If heavy snowstorms are expected, dial 2-1-1 to find out if your tax site will be open.
- If you are scheduled and must cancel, please contact the site coordinator.
Step 5: Advanced Resources
- Link and Learn
- RefundOhio videos anchor at online training modules
- IRS Link & Learn Training
- Publication 4491: Student Training Guide: This is the print version of the Link & Learn courses for basic and advanced tax law training.
- Publication 4491-W: Comprehensive Problems and Exercises Workbook: Provides tax return scenarios for volunteers to complete using TaxWise online training (for training purposes only).
- Publication 4012: Volunteer Resource Guide Provides a quick and easy way to find answers to common questions such as: “What is the correct filing status?” “Who qualifies as a dependent?” “What income is considered taxable?”
- Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax Return: An extension of Pub. 4012, Pub. 17 provides the most comprehensive information regarding any tax question.
- Site Coordinator Corner
Want to help us spread the word? Print and share our flyer.