WHO CAN HELP
Individuals ages 18+ can help on their own, or groups can adopt a tax site and volunteer together. Not a tax expert? No problem! We provide training and on-going support. To be a great volunteer, you just need to be:
- personable and friendly
- willing to ask questions
- comfortable using a computer
- curious about learning new skills
- someone who has high ethical standards
Volunteer nights or weekends at one of 30+ locations in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana. Continuing education credits available for Accountants, CPAs and CFAs. Volunteers can also help as site greeters or Spanish interpreters.
BEGIN TRAINING: Depending on your role, work through the IRS training materials to become certified.
- Register for the IRS the Training/Certification website to learn tax laws basics, changes, and other tax topics. Other helpful resources include: VITA/TCE Volunteer Resource Guide (Pub 4012) – your primary resource; Tax Guide (Pub 17): provides the comprehensive information regarding any tax question; and Prosperity Now’s VITA-Train – 12 modules on all Basic topics
- Practice at the IRS Practice Lab website to learn the tax software used at our sites. Enter password TRAINPROWEB then set your own username and password.
- Watch a recorded training of a recent volunteer training. (If you have trouble viewing the video in your browser, you may need to download the video.)
CERTIFY: Pass the certification tests on the IRS the Training/Certification website. Each test is un-timed, can be saved and resumed later, and can be attempted twice.
- Complete the Volunteer Standards of Conduct test.
- Complete the Intake/Interview test.
- Complete the Basic test or jump right to Advanced.
- Print out volunteer agreement (form 13615) for site coordinator. You will need a form for each site you volunteer.
START VOLUNTEERING! Once you’ve passed all three certification tests, you may login to the Volunteer Portal to update your profile to show your certification level(s) and select your preferred site(s). Site Coordinators will reach out to work with you to schedule volutneer shifts. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional support as needed.