Resources for Employers
Regional Volunteer Tax Assistance and the Earned Income Credit
Tax Help for your employees is one more way United Way works together with you! Your employees may qualify to receive free tax preparation and filing through the Regional Earned Income Tax Credit Collaborative. We offer Free Online Filing for anyone earning less than $64,000 and In Person Filing for workers earning less than $54,000.
- MyFreeTaxes is a free online software sponsored by United Way Worldwide and partners. It includes free federal and state tax preparation software (through H&R Block) along with a phone and chat hotline staffed by specially trained 2-1-1 operators who can assist with tax and software questions. Your employees can file taxes from home at their convenience. For more info, click here.
- You can also run MyFreeTaxes in a computer lab at your worksite to assist your employees in filing.
- Sample materials:
- Volunteer tax sites (VITA) are operated throughout the region through a partnership of IRS, United Way of Greater Cincinnati and partner agencies and corporations.
- Your employees can receive free tax preparation assistance weekends and evenings at a community site. Click here for more information about tax preparation sites in the community.
- Several corporate teams volunteer together at tax sites; opportunities vary from individual volunteering to corporate sponsored tax sites. Click here to learn more about our corporate volunteering program.
How to get involved
- Share a link on your intranet or in your employee newsletter: Add an announcement with a link to www.makeworkpay.com on your employee Intranet or share with your employees via e-mail. We’ve attached a sample employee newsletter article here.
- Distribute flyers and posters in your workplace: Place flyers and posters in break rooms, on bulletin boards, or at meetings. Download Flyer | | Request free copies
- Include flyers in payroll and W-2 mailings: Timing is everything! Include our flyer or payroll insert with your employee W-2s, or share via e-mail. | Request free copies
- Host a tax site at your workplace: Make it easy for employees to get taxes prepared for free. This is a great option for companies who employ a large number of employees earning $54,000 or below, can provide employee volunteers to manage and operate site, and have on-site computer labs available during business hours for several dates during tax season.
- Encourage employees to volunteer: Your employees can serve the community, build teamwork, learn a valuable skill, receive free IRS tax training and earn professional CEU credits, as volunteers with the EITC initiative. There are a number of ways to get involved. Click here to learn more about our corporate volunteering program. Contact us to get started.
- Advocate for the earned income credit. Let our legislators know how important this is to the community. Learn More.
- Facts about EITC
- EITC Frequently Asked Questions
- Sample Employee Newsletter
- United Way Tax Assistance Corporate Volunteering Program
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities – www.cbpp.org/eic2010
- Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service – www.irs.gov
For more information, please contact us.