Build financial stability for families by helping them prepare and file their taxes at one of our free tax sites. Volunteers will receive training to meet one-on-one with families and file their return using tax software.
WHO CAN HELP
Individuals ages 18+ can help on their own, or groups can adopt a tax site and volunteer together. Not a tax expert? No problem! We provide training and on-going support. Great volunteers just need to be:
- personable and friendly
- willing to ask questions
- comfortable using a computer
- curious about learning new skills and solving puzzles
- someone who has high ethical standards
Volunteer nights or weekends at one of 30+ locations in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana. Continuing education credits available for Accountants, CPAs and CFAs. Volunteers can also help as site greeters or Spanish interpreters.
HOW TO START
1) Learn More | 1 hour
2) Apply | 30 mins
- Complete a Volunteer Application Form to indicate your interest and receive important program updates. This is also how you’ll sign up for volunteer shifts.
- Register for the IRS the Training/Certification website to learn tax laws basics, changes, and other tax topics.
- Register for the IRS Practice Lab website to learn the TaxSlayer software used at our tax sites. Enter password TRAINPROWEB then set your own username and password.
3) Training | 3-12 hours
- In person training has closed for the year, but you may complete all training and certification online.
- Self Study Courses:
- VITA/TCE Volunteer Resource Guide (Pub 4012) – your primary resource
- Tax Guide (Pub 17): provides the comprehensive information regarding any tax question. (HTML)
- Prosperity Now’s VITA-Train – 12 modules on all Basic topics
- Downloads from IRS
- TaxSlayer (Practice Lab main page: Sect 4 and 6, use password from Apply section above)
- Link and Learn – More in depth courses from the IRS.
4) Test and Certify | 1-3 hours
- Log into the IRS the Training/Certification website. Each test is un-timed, can be saved and resumed later, and can be attempted twice.
- Complete the Volunteer Standards of Conduct test.
- Complete the Intake/Interview test.
- Complete the Basic test, other levels are optional.
- Print out volunteer agreement (form 13615) for site coordinator. You will need a form for each site you volunteer.
5) Start volunteering! | 12+ hours
- Once you’ve passed all three certification tests, you may login to schedule your volunteer shifts. We ask volunteers to commit to at least 3 shifts of 3-4 hours on a weeknight or Saturday.