WHO CAN HELP
Individuals ages 18+ can help on their own, or groups can adopt a tax site and volunteer together. Not a tax expert? No problem! We provide training and on-going support. To be a great volunteer, you just need to be:
- personable and friendly
- willing to ask questions
- comfortable using a computer
- curious about learning new skills
- someone who has high ethical standards
Volunteer nights or weekends at one of 30+ locations in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana. Continuing education credits available for Accountants, CPAs and CFAs. Volunteers can also help as site greeters or Spanish interpreters.
1) Learn More | 1 hour
- Review our Virtual Information Session
2) Apply | 30 mins
- Complete a Volunteer Application Form to indicate your interest and receive important program updates. This is also how you’ll sign up for volunteer shifts.
- Review our tentative tax site locations & schedule (Updated 2021 tax season information coming soon!) to make sure we have opportunities that fit when and where you’d like to volunteer.
- Register for the IRS the Training/Certification website to learn tax laws basics, changes, and other tax topics.
- Register for the IRS Practice Lab website to learn the TaxSlayer software used at our tax sites. Enter password TRAINPROWEB then set your own username and password.
3) Training (December – January) | 3-12 hours
- New Volunteer Training
- Returning Volunteers Refresher/Updates Training
- Self Study Courses (Updated 2021 tax season information coming soon!):
- VITA/TCE Volunteer Resource Guide (Pub 4012) – your primary resource
- Tax Guide (Pub 17): provides the comprehensive information regarding any tax question. (HTML)
- Prosperity Now’s VITA-Train – 12 modules on all Basic topics
- Volunteer Tax Prep Training Materials (IRS pub. 4012 & 6744) can be picked up at the following locations:
- United Way (Loading Dock)
2400 Reading Road, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Friday, Dec 4 or 11, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Care Center at Northstar Church
11020 S. Lebanon Rd., Loveland, OH 45140
Wednesday, Dec. 9 or 16, Jan. 6 or 13: 1 to 8 p.m.
- Center for Great Neighborhoods
321 W 12th Street, Covington, KY 41011
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Ohio Means Jobs |Butler County
4631 Dixie Highway (Route 4), Fairfield Crossing Shopping Center, Fairfield, Ohio 45014
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- United Way (Loading Dock)
- Downloads from IRS
- TaxSlayer (Practice Lab main page: Sect 4 and 6, use password from Apply section above)
- Link and Learn – More in depth courses from the IRS.
4) Test and Certify (January – February) | 1-3 hours
- Log into the IRS the Training/Certification website. Each test is un-timed, can be saved and resumed later, and can be attempted twice.
- Complete the Volunteer Standards of Conduct test.
- Complete the Intake/Interview test.
- Complete the Basic test, other levels are optional.
- Print out volunteer agreement (form 13615) for site coordinator. You will need a form for each site you volunteer.
5) Start volunteering! (January – April) | 12+ hours
- Once you’ve passed all three certification tests, you may login to schedule your volunteer shifts. We ask volunteers to commit to at least 3 shifts of 3-4 hours on a weeknight or Saturday.